Sunday, June 7, 2009

I'm obsessed...

When you barely leave the house for an entire weekend (and then do so reluctantly) in order to read 3 monster books about vampires... I think it's safe to say that you're obsessed. So - since admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery (so I'm told) - "My name is Janell and I'm obsessed with vampires." Let's be clear, I'm not going out in public dressed like a fang banger hoping to get bitten. That's mostly the case because I'm not truly dumb enough to believe in the un-dead. Bite me if I'm wrong...seriously...well, maybe..

There is, however, something super drool-worthy over a book about vamps. This is me showing my age, but I've dug them (no grave references intended) since The Lost Boys (yum - Jason Patric) was at the theaters. They'd just gotten sexier since then... sigh.

Recently it's been all about the Southern Vampire series (Charlaine Harris). The obsession started simply enough - a brief commercial for a new HBO series called True Blood (obviously, I highly recommend you check it out). Thought "hey that sounds neat, I'll Vivo it". Those were some famous last words that committed me to hours of reading/chatting/obsession... worth it, but a major commitment. There's 9 books in the series thus far and I've read them all twice. Hot sex, independent/trouble-magnet main character who happens to read minds, and just plain fascinating stories. It helps tremendously that the actors on the TV show are hot as hell... good images to start with in your head. Lots of lust and torn loyalties involved. If you've read them, I'm curious if you're a Bill or an Eric fan. Me - I'm all about Eric. Even though he's blond (yuck), he's got power, confidence, and a huge.... ego on his side. New season starts this Sunday on HBO.. worth the extra cable bill... trust me.

This weekend, I powered through the first 3 books from the Twilight saga (saga is their word, not mine). Some 1,500 pages later - I can say that their passion and danger are nice in a PG kind of way. If I had a teenage daughter, I'd let her read them.. and then borrow them. Not as steamy but contains some of that guilt ridden teen angst that I can relate to from my high school days. First movie was good and is what encouraged me to go ahead with the books... but as always, the books are better.

Anyways.. after all this vampire submersion..and the fact that I'm about to run out of books again... I need to find a new outlet for my obsessive nature. Maybe I can funnel it into something productive like housework or the gym. More likely... I'll just read the damn books over and over again until there's a new one. Man.. I need a hobby :)