Thursday, August 27, 2009

One Sure Sign.. and Life After Work (?)

One sure sign that you're a workaholic is that it's 8:50 and you just finished your work day and you decide to go ahead and blog from work because you know if you shut down your computer... not happening. Another sign.. it's been WEEKS since your last blog. What's with that?! Apparently - I suck (not a big surprise to many of you.. and that makes you mean... and honest... and...).

The good news (maybe) is that I'm trying to turn over a new leaf. I just enrolled in a continuing education class called "Basics of Writing a Novel" on Monday nights 9/14 - 11/2. Now - I admit that my lack of "stick-to-it-tive-ness" with regularly blogging doesn't bode well for a future novel. However - I'm going with the assumption that I won't be on some big publisher-enforced timeline if I ever do get around to writing a book. (Just like I keep trying to get around to starting yoga.. it's been like 18 months of me saying that.. I disgust myself). So - theory is - learn something about novels, get all motivated with a fantastic plot line, and WHAM!! there's my reason for leaving work at a reasonable hour to work on my passion. The planets have to sort of align for all that to become a reality.. and when that happens in 2012, the Mayans swear we'll die... but it COULD happen and we COULD actually survive it. Seriously.. maybe..

One of the things to light of fire under me is the fact that I'm all into reading books by Chuck Palahnuik these days and he's a fascinating writer. (I fess up - I had to look up his name.. how the heck do you even pronounce that???) He wrote Fight Club and I read an interview with him in Playboy a few months ago and thought, "this dude's just jacked up enough to be interesting." So I started the reading process. I think this is sort of odd of me (it's taxicab true confessions time here) but I haven't yet read Fight Club. It's his most famous novel, but I kind of feel like I'm being a "follower" or something if I read that before I plow through the rest of his work. Sometimes.. I try too hard to be independent and over think things. This is one of those times. Anyways - recommend his stuff and warn you that it's odd. Just NEAT writing style that makes me want to write even more.. not that I'll be even 10% as good.. but that's okay too. You guys will still love me anyways.. right?

Another thing.. I think I have a pesky habit of only following through on work commitments and not personal ones. Back to the "trying to start yoga for 18 months" thing. That's not that hard. You find a class, you put on activity-specific pants, you show up and sweat. I've gone as far as registering on-line at Sun Stone Yoga.. not showing up.. just registering in case I ever do. I've made plans with Molly (and canceled them) on numerous occasions. My butt is not getting any smaller... Another example - it took me almost 9 months to finally go out and test drive an Infiniti. It's not like I have a lot going on over the weekends. What's with that?! So - this is me, trying to follow through on a commitment I made to myself. If you've ever read The Speed of Trust, you'd know that's a big step in building trusting relationships. Go me.

And finally... we lost a good friend this week and it reminds me that sometimes, you have to stop putting off things you really want to do, because damn it - there might not be a tomorrow.

This is Janell - signing off and hoping to be able to report out in two weeks how my first class went...